Swing as hard as you can in case you hit it.
This book is intended to get youth players and parents started in the right direction. It is a basic guide for parents and coaches, a road map as kids go through their life cycle of a youth baseball career.
Every youth player is different – from size to strength to mental development – and this book is designed to teach, answer and raise questions, and to help you navigate a young athlete’s career.
This 82 page book encompasses what Larry Hoskin learned from running "Bucky Dent Baseball School" for 37 years, and from giving clinics to thousands of students, parents and coaches world wide over the last 40 years.
Larry’s gift is teaching kids how to be better in all things – better players, better athletes, better people. His knowledge and experience teaching young people is unique in its depth and tenure.
-- Chris Scott, parent and CEO of C Scott Consulting
Not only is this book a great asset to youth players, high school and college athletes. It is also an educational tool for parents, so they know what to expect in the future.
-- Miguel Cuello, high school baseball coach/two-time state champion
A must-read: Larry presents an overview of the responsibilities of players, what is expected from coaches and the role of parents. These basics are the building blocks for success in every sport.
-- Michael Demchak, parent
This book clearly answers all the questions that high school baseball players and their families have about the various decisions they must make as they progress in the game.
-- Kyle Forbes, head coach of Palm Beach State College
This book has great information that can help fathers, coaches and players. Good stuff!
-- Jeff Conine, former MLB star
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Big Picture
Basic Baseball Principles of Instruction
- First Things First
- Coaching Philosophy
- Preseason Team Meeting with Parents/Players
- Running Speed
- Learn and Play All Positions
- Throwing Mechanics
- Infield Play
- Middle Infield Play
- Outfield Play
- Why and How to Use a Batting Tee
- Bat Position
- Baseball Arithmetic
- Parents and Coaches
- What to Do at Practice
- Introduction to Cutoffs and Relays
Parents and Coaches
Physical Conditioning and Body Development
Through the Years
Thoughts About High School
College: A Big Decision
Making Baseball a Career
Personal Reﬂections and Thank-Yous
Parting Thoughts: What I Believe
Profile: Larry Hoskin
- Born in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Grew up in Athol, Massachusetts.
- Played in Cape Cod Summer Collegiate Baseball league for two years.
- Played college baseball at Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, 1972-74.
- Graduated from FIU with a business degree and hit the first home run in program history.
- Played with the Chicago Cubs organization.
- Bats: Left, Throws: Left Height: 6' 2".
- Married to wife Shawn and has two daughters, Amy and Carrie.
- Worked in the baseball instruction business for more than 40 years.
- Partnered with Bucky Dent and ran the famed “Bucky Dent Baseball School” for 37 years. The school hosted individual students weekly, along with teams and groups from all over the world.
- Larry has traveled all over the world giving clinics to thousands of students, parents and coaches. He is considered one of the finest teachers and entertainers in the baseball world. Larry has instructed with some of the biggest names in the business: Ted Williams, Charley Lau, Ernie Banks, Pete Rose, Don Mattingly, Pudge Rodriguez, Alex Rodriguez, Jeff Conine, Juan Pierre, Mike Piazza and many more greats.
- Larry evaluates for many youth leagues around the country, grading each student individually. He has likely seen more youth players bat, throw and field than anyone in the country.
- Larry has written baseball instructional articles for local newspapers.